Our team of medical, aviation and operations professionals are the driving force behind Awesome Air Evac. They have a multifaceted and resourceful understanding of our operational environment while ensuring we remain committed to innovation, have ongoing attention to detail and uncompromising diligence while examining the varied dimensions of our clients' needs, ensuring that nothing that might have an impact on their success is overlooked.
Awesome Air Evac’s standard medical flight crew is a mission specific combination of a Flight Doctor and Flight Nurse or Flight Paramedic. Our medical flight crew have the following minimum experience/ qualifications:
- ACLS and PALS
- Pre-hospital EMS experience
- ICU experience
- Trauma experience
OUR CORE TEAM
Dr Glenn Staples, the Medical Director, has over 15 years of experience in aeromedical services including the following:
- In excess of 400 fixed wing flight missions
- In excess of 600 HEMS missions
- Establishment and Management of Fixed Wing, HEMS and Helicopter Surf Rescue Operations across Africa
- 10 years of pre-hospital primary response EMS work in Johannesburg (road ambulance)
- 3 years Anaesthetics experience
- 18 months dedicated ICU experience
- 2 years Full-time experience in a Level 1 Trauma Unit
- Previous BLS, ACLS, PALS and APLS Instructor
Shane Marais, the General Manager, is an Advanced Life Support Flight Paramedic with extensive experience in aeromedical operations and medical assistance services in Africa. He also has the following experience:
- Over 20 years’ experience in the operational and managerial aspects of the pre-hospital and aeromedical environment
- Flight operations management
- The establishment and management of Fixed Wing, HEMS and Helicopter Surf Rescue operations across Africa.
- Quality Management – ISO 9001
AIR AMBULANCE MANAGER (AVIATION)
Shaun Starke has 10 years of operational experience with a demonstrated history of working in the aviation and aerospace industry. Skilled in International Operations, Safety Management Systems, Flight Planning, Quality Assurance and Flight Safety, Shaun also has in excess of 400 missions as a Medevac pilot.
GENERAL MANAGER MAINTENANCE
Mike Mayers has a career in maintenance spanning 35 years. He is part of the Management team and is responsible for the maintenance of the Group’s fleet and is the Custodian of the MOE (Maintenance Organization Exposition) and the implementation of all related procedures as well as the Custodian of MCM (CAME) and management of all continuous airworthiness activities.